Late For Dinner

"Adventures...Make you late for dinner." -- Bilbo Baggins

Featuring Thoughts and Images both Adventurous and Otherwise. Dealing mostly with those Occurences and Happenings which befall one Jordan Emmans, during his Sojourn in the Far East (South Korea, specifically). Giving no promise as to Quality or Frequency of posts. Expecting, however, great Diversity of Subject Matter. Hoping sincerely to Entertain and Enlighten those Readers who would care to glance herein. Or Something.

Name:
Location: Gwangju, South Korea

I'm a follower of Jesus and a guitarist/drummer/vocalist. I'm from Cool, CA, USA, and I've been in Korea since Jan. 27, 2006. Right now I'm giving teaching a try. Next year...who knows what I'll be doing. Life is an adventure!

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day Seven

Hello from the Webster, FL public library! I'm enjoying the air conditioning, waiting out the afternoon heat, and catching up on my correspondence. So far I've pedaled approximately 240 miles, and camped every night. Some stealth camping, so I won't tell you exactly where...

I've been very commando, as it were. While I have taken showers, I haven't taken as many as could be desired. Nor have I dined in style. Grocery stores have all I need to survive and thrive; restaurants only take too much of my money. Though I have hit a couple restaurants. The Subway sandwich I had earlier really hit the spot.

My body is beginning to adjust to being on the bike for long hours, though I'm still fighting aches and pains here and there. The bike has performed like a champ. And I think I've packed fairly well. Everything I have I either will use, am using, or have used. I haven't kicked myself for not bringing something...yet. I have kicked myself for buying that copy of Lonely Planet Florida. It's not worth the added weight and subtracted space.

The best part so far is the people I've met along the way. I mean, if Florida is any indication of the rest of the South, I'm a believer in and big fan of Southern hospitality. Especially some folks I met just outside of Fort Meade. I was rolling by, it was getting late, I was looking for a place to camp, and I saw a Christian camp for boys, called Camp Wilderness. It turns out it's a Royal Rangers camp, a Christian Boy Scouts, basically. I was a Royal Ranger Straight Arrow for a short time as a boy in Lincoln, CA. So it was neat being there. Anyway, I rode in and asked if I could pitch a tent for the night. The guy in charge said yes. Fortunately there was a group there from Fort Myers, camping for the weekend (this was on Saturday). They were extremely hospitable and invited me to camp near them and join their group. They fed me steak and chicken and made me feel as welcome as could be, inviting me to join them for movie night (they watched one of those Tim Allen Santa Claus movies and The Incredibles on a portable canvas screen they had set up).

The next day, they did a small church service, and I played a couple songs for them and they prayed for me and gave me a bunch of food. I stayed there all day, as I needed a day of rest. I hung out and played in the creek (no gators, that we saw...) with Richard Pringle and his wife April and kids Hannah, Luke and Faith. They are great people. The whole group are great people. Paul the painter, who let me use his camp shower and first invited me to camp near the group, was a real cool guy. All told, it was a really neat experience, one I will long remember.

And I met many other good people:

--Barney (I hope I remembered his name correctly) from the motorcycle/furniture/antiques and curiosities store in Lakeland, who gave me directions and water.

-- The Blanchards in Lakeland, who gave me directions and fed me barbecue.

--James at the produce stand outside of Polk City, who told me his story and gave me water and more bananas and oranges than I had paid for.

--David on the Van Fleet State Trail, who told me all about gators big and small, and where to possibly find a camping spot.

The list will only get longer, I'm sure.

That's all for now, folks. Check back for more updates and anecdotes. I'm going to try to do pictues eventually.

Godspeed!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm telling you man, America is jam-packed with good folk. You'll never hear about 'em in the news though. You've just got to get out there and see for yourself. Have a crazy, good time. Peace, hope and love- Nathan J. Emmans

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jordan, It was good to meet you at Fort Meade. Your singing and guitar playing during our campsite church service was great. Glad to read on your website that you are making progress on your journey. God bless ya. Paul the painter.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi~teacher^^
I'm Jay.
I'm happy to hear of you.
You have enjoyed your trip,right?
I really want you to have good memories for traveling.
Bye~

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi~teacher^^
I'm Jay.
I'm happy to hear of you.
You have enjoyed your trip,right?
I really want you to have good memories for traveling.
Bye~

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Kyle Ray said...

thanks for the update! it sounds like you are having a great time and i can't wait to hear more! perhaps kyle and i should take a trip across america....

hmmmmm

colette :)

10:43 AM  
Blogger Kyle Ray said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jordan!
Have a great trip... I wish we could ride a bit together but I will have to wait until you get back to nor cal.
You remain in my thoughts and prayers.
Steve Lendzion

7:30 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Nathan,
Yes indeed. I'm finding that out. Tell Jessica and Cadi hi for me. See you soon.

Paul the painter,
Good to meet you too! I'm really glad I got the chance to play for you guys, and get to know you a little bit. Thanks for welcoming me into your group, and for the use of your shower!

Jay,
Thanks, I'm sure I will. Has your summer vacation started yet?

Collette,
Yes, you guys should...

Steve,
Good to hear from you! Thanks for your prayers, I need 'em. We'll definitely have to ride when I get back. See you in a couple months...

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home