Late For Dinner

"Adventures...Make you late for dinner." -- Bilbo Baggins

Featuring Thoughts and Images both Adventurous and Otherwise. Dealing mostly with those Occurences and Happenings which befall one Jordan Emmans, during his Sojourn in the Far East (South Korea, specifically). Giving no promise as to Quality or Frequency of posts. Expecting, however, great Diversity of Subject Matter. Hoping sincerely to Entertain and Enlighten those Readers who would care to glance herein. Or Something.

Name:
Location: Gwangju, South Korea

I'm a follower of Jesus and a guitarist/drummer/vocalist. I'm from Cool, CA, USA, and I've been in Korea since Jan. 27, 2006. Right now I'm giving teaching a try. Next year...who knows what I'll be doing. Life is an adventure!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mike and Dave's Speakeasy

Last weekend I...

...had dinner with students (the guy grinning is hilarious; the guy to his left is his friend and straight man, also very funny; the girl and guy aren't a couple, though he wants them to be; the guy in back is an air traffic controller for the South Korean Airforce. We had sushi.)...

...went to Mike and Dave's Speakeasy, the local foreigners' bar owned and operated by two Canadian guys, where we (my students and I) saw a Canadian named Matt play a bunch of covers and originals (all I could capture was his lower half)...

...and played a few of my songs with my new jamming buddies, Dan from Britain and Dave (not of Mike and Dave's) from Canada.

The gig went well, considering that Dave hadn't heard any but two of my songs until that afternoon, and we didn't know we were going to play until about 5pm (we ended up going on after midnight; we played for about 45 minutes). Dave's quite accomplished. He can sing backup as well as play very tasty grooves on his bass. Dan's also a consummate musician. They're easy guys to play with.

Playing in bars, as those who have will know, is like practicing in public. Most people are there to socialize, not listen to the band, so they pretty much ignore you and talk louder to hear each other over the music. But it was still fun. And the owners loved us so much they said we could come play anytime (I don't know if there will be any payola involved...).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see you playing Jordan!
Great to see a post from you also!
You look right at home!
Jesse is in Africa with the Bols for a month... returns in November. Then Steve and Denise will begin preparing for their return trip to China.
Shalom,
Steve

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home